The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is calling on Texans to remain vigilant regarding potential crime and terrorist activity in their communities, and to report suspicious behaviors to local authorities or the department’s iWATCH website at www.iwatchtx.org. The iWATCH program was created as a partnership between communities and law enforcement, and utilizes citizen-sourced tips related to criminal activity.
Preparations for terrorist attacks may often be seen, but rarely reported. When in doubt, please speak up. Here are some examples of behaviors and activities to report:
- •Strangers asking questions about building security features and procedures.
- •Briefcase, suitcase, backpack or package is left behind.
- •Cars or trucks are left in no-parking zones at important buildings.
- •Chemical smells or fumes that are unusual for the location.
- •People requesting sensitive information, such as blueprints, security plans or VIP travel schedules, without a need to know.
- •Purchasing supplies that could be used to make bombs or weapons, or purchasing uniforms without having the proper credentials.
- •Taking photographs or videos of security features, such as cameras or checkpoints.